ANIMATION WORKSHOPS FOR AGES 6 TO 106
Pass the time at home with your kids, roommate, or partner during the COVID-19 pandemic. Join me and learn how to make your own stop-motion pixilation movies!
How Will This Work?
1. Attend your 30-minute live video-conferenced “How To” learning session.
• Your workshop is a private session for your household; no others will be conferenced in.
• You will need at least two total people for your movie: One to be in it, and one to operate the camera.
• If you are doing this project with kids, you must have at least one adult or a mature “older” kid (13+) to help out during the workshop and filming. The workshop is entertainment and education, but not childcare.
2. After your workshop, you will shoot your animation on your own.
• Depending on your patience and commitment, this could be as little as 20 minutes of shooting, or as long as several hours. (Recommended shooting time: One hour.)
3. (Optional) When your shoot is finished, have your footage professionally edited with titles, sound effects, and music.
• This will make it more polished than the raw silent footage from the app.
• Within 2-3 business days, you will receive it back to keep and share.
How Long Will My Movie Be?
Depending on how much shooting you do, your final movie will most likely be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes long. One hour of focused shooting that yields 200 frames will give you a movie that is about 30-seconds long.
What is the Cost?
**Editing service covers movies up to 2 minutes long. Longer projects can be negotiated separately.
A non-refundable minimum of $20 is required upon signup to hold your spot.
If needed, you may reschedule and I will apply the funds to hold your new time-slot.
Payment methods: Venmo, PayPal
What Will I Need?
Before your workshop, please do the following:
1. Download one of these FREE apps to your phone or tablet. I like OSnap but both are good!
2. Make a stand to hold the camera device.
- Needs to be in LANDSCAPE position
- Device should be upright so you can use the camera
- Suggestion: Two binder clips and a business card — works great
3. You will need a second device for talking on the Zoom.
- EXAMPLE: Use a laptop for the Zoom and a phone as your shooting device.
What Will My Movie Look Like If I Opt Out of Editing?
If you include editing in your registration, I will spend about 90 minutes putting titles, music, and sound effects on your footage to give it a polished, professional edge.
Here is the unedited version of the movie from the top of the page. Compare the two to see the difference that editing makes.
What If I Love This And Want to Make More Movies?
Rock on! After the initial workshop, you can (and should!) continue making more and more projects, and you’ll have all the skills you need to do it on your own without any need to repeat the workshop.
If you want additional projects to be edited and polished with titles, sound effects, and music, I can provide that service a la carte.
Price for editing each additional project, up to 2 minutes long:
$25-$35 Reduced, $35-$50 Market, $50-$80 Above Market
What Ages Is This For?
This workshop is designed for anyone ages 6 to 106! It is easy and fun — for kids and adults, too.
Stop-Motion Animation calls for lots of patience and the ability to stay still, as you will make small repeated movements over and over, so it’s not recommended for kids younger than 6yrs, or humans of any age with a short attention span and a habit of fidgeting.
If you have kids younger than 6 who want to be involved, that’s your call — you know their abilities best. One option is to have them be a helper for an adult operating the camera. (Pushing that shutter button over and over!)
What Are Your Qualifications?
I have been a freelance teaching artist for over a decade, working in schools in NYC and NJ, including every borough except Staten Island. I have taught kids ages 5-18 in public, private, and charter schools. My subject areas have included everything from filmmaking and animation, to playwriting and theatre, all the way to culinary arts. In filmmaking alone, I have made (literally!) hundreds of movies with young people. I like working with grown-ups, too.
I’ve also worked as a tutor! If you need online tutoring for your kids, contact me.